September Sapphire Birthstone
Sapphires have been cherished for thousands of years for their color, durability, and luster! September's birthstone symbolizes wisdom, loyalty and nobility.
Most think of the royal blue variety, but this gemstone can occur in all colors of the rainbow (except red, which is classified as a ruby). This gives September babies a full spectrum of options when choosing the shade that best represents them.
Here are some fun facts that we love:
- One of the world's most famous blue sapphire engagement rings is the one worn by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, which previously belonged to the late Diana, Princess of Wales
- Sapphire comes in many colors, including the rare pinkish orange variety known as Padparadscha, meaning "lotus blossom"
- Long mineral inclusions that intersect can create the star effect when stones are cut as cabochons
- They are remarkably hard and measure 9 on the Mohs scale, second only to diamond
Care & Cleaning for Sapphires:
- Warm, soapy water is always safe
- Ultrasonic and steam cleaners are usually safe for untreated, heat-treated, and lattice diffusion treated stones
- Fracture-filled, cavity-filled, or dyed material should only be cleaned with a damp cloth
Sapphires make great gifts for anyone born in September or celebrating a 5th or 45th wedding anniversary. Whatever your reason for buying sapphire, you can’t go wrong with this brilliant gemstone!
1. Everyday staples laced with the beauty of blue sapphires! This perfectly paired set will make the perfect gift.
2. Sapphire and diamonds make the perfect pair - Layer up tennis bracelets for a stylish look heading into Fall!
3. Add a pop of color to any outfit! This sapphire and diamond ring is sure to make a statement
To learn more about sapphires – check out the AGS article found here.