December babies are extra special, not only do they get to share their birth month with one of the most magical times of the year, they get not just one - but THREE birthstones!
All with hues of blue (inline with the winter blues), Tanzanite, Zircon & Turquoise showcase are all relatively inexpensive but each have their own unique and beautiful characteristics that stand apart from one another.
Here are some quick facts on each of these beauties:
- Can only be found in one part of the world - Tanzania (hence the name)
- Tanzanite was first discovered in 1967 by Maasai herders who found blue crystals in the Merelani Hills near Arusha, Tanzania - making this one of the 'youngest' gemstones known to man
- Color will range from pale blue to intense ultramarine with violet undertones
- Tanzanite is also a popular gift to commemorate the 24th wedding anniversary
- Zircon was first found in Australia 4.4 BILLION years ago, making it the oldest mineral on earth
- Zircon can be found in an array of colors ranging from yellow to red, green, brown and blue
- Color differences in zircon are caused by impurities, some of which (like uranium) can be slightly radioactive. These gems are also treated with heat to stabilize the radioactivity
- Since the Middle Ages, people have believed that zircon can induce sleep, ward off evil and promote prosperity
- Turquoise color ranges from powdery blue to greenish robin’s egg blue
- Turquoise buried in Ancient Egyptian tombs is among the world’s oldest jewelry
- Turquoise is colored by copper, which creates some of the most vivid blues and greens in gems
- Ancient Egyptians called turquoise “mefkat,” which also means “joy” and “delight.
To learn more about these gorgeous gemstones - check out the American Gem Society article found here .